27/04/2013: Almost May already! This year is going so fast!
02/04/2013: Happy Easter. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.
01/01/2013: Happy New Year!!
24/12/2012: Merry Christmas!!
13/11/2012: Getting hand-made presents ready for Christmas!!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Jack-o-Lantern Completed!


Isn't it cute! I think I am addicted to LEDs. I was so excited to put the LEDs into this project that I finished it in 2 days. Conductive thread is a really cool thing to work with. It is just like a normal heavy cotton, like an embroidery thread, and yet once you have hooked everything together correctly it does amazing things like run these two LEDs.

The eye shape was designed just so there would be a little orange area to mount the LEDs on. I really like this project... I think I like this more than the robot project, though that was pretty cool too.

The circuit for these little 6" projects is quite simple so if you are new to electronics and want to have a play with conductive thread one of these little projects would be perfect for you. It would also be great as a holiday project for the kids. I think the instructions I've written out are fairly clear, but you could always leave me a comment or send me an email if you get stuck with it.

What else can I put LEDs into?... I really do think I'm addicted!!

5 comments:

Donna~~ said...

Neat idea--didn't even know LED's were a possibility, but now I'm going to have to think about the ways to use them!

Metanoia said...

They're amazing!! It adds a whole other dimension. At the moment I've used up to 3 on a 3V battery, but I'm researching how many is possible without reducing the life of the battery too much.

If you're not sure how to go about it yourself, suggest a design and if I make it up and put it in the shop you get 50% off the pattern and kit - http://happybobbin.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/your-e-textile-suggestions.html

Monica said...

*thumps forehead* I don't know why I didn't see the LEDs coming! Another great idea, and extremely well executed. I think you're onto a good thing here. :D

Monica said...

Houses, Metanoia, houses. Or city lights. I always love quilts with rows of houses. Piece o'Cake has an old North Pole quilt design that features Santa's neighbourhood at night - something like that could be awesome. There must be tons of great Christmas ideas you can do. A tree! Candles! Sparkly snowflakes that wink! Blinking lights are a more advanced circuit, so they may be a good intermediate project.

The Star of Bethlehem, even. I'm sure you would draw extremely cute sheep. The shepherds on a hill, the shepherds at the manger, many options.

Ok, I'll stop now. ;)

Metanoia said...

YES! LEDS IN ALL THE THINGS!

But seriously, I am looking into making them flash, but also keeping it simple so you guys can all replicate it without prior electronics knowledge. I have ideas... also some other different components for different functionality. I'll keep it secret for now, but damn the ideas are very cool! I'm really excited and hope I can get more people excited about electronics in sewing as well.

Your ideas are great! I would love to do a tree with flashing LEDs. I feel like I'm running out of time for Christmas designs this year because I also have a couple of gifts to make, but I will try and get something else out. Houses sounds like a great "any-time" project.

Thanks for the great ideas! Seriously, keep them coming, cause I want to know what interests you all as well. Pop them over in the Happy Bobbin blog anytime you think of something if you like.