27/04/2013: Almost May already! This year is going so fast!
02/04/2013: Happy Easter. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.
01/01/2013: Happy New Year!!
24/12/2012: Merry Christmas!!
13/11/2012: Getting hand-made presents ready for Christmas!!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Green Satchel Bag


I started this yesterday and spent a bit of deliberation time working out exactly how I would put in a couple of pockets with zips and make it look nice so this project took me a little longer than expected. Most of the work was done this morning and I think all up it has taken about 6-7 hours not including the time I spent thinking about this yesterday. It is 36 degrees today so I think my poor hot sewing machine needs a break for the afternoon!

The bag is approximately 15"x13" and I've squared off the bottom to about 2" wide. It is fully lined with a small outer pocket and a large inner pocket and the outer is quilted with quilt batting giving it extra strength and substance. The design evolved as I contemplated what I wanted to include and I used the straps as edging to hide the seams on the outer pocket which will also give it strength as well.

I took lots of other progress photos so if there is interest I could develop a pattern. This one is destined to be a gift so I'm also tempted to make one of these for myself, although I was going to do something with applique and more pockets for myself eventually (perhaps over Christmas)... but I think if I make one for myself it will have to be out of chicken fabric!



6 comments:

Monica said...

36 and it's only November! It made it up to 4 here today. :)

Metanoia said...

Pack me some snow and I'll send you some sun!! ;)

Monica said...

No snow yet, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing some early this year.

Metanoia said...

Definitely! It is a weird weather year so far. Our hot weather turned into a huge thunder storm last night. I ended up giving up on using my computer and did some sewing between the power outages instead.

Monica said...

Our modem takes forever to reset when the power goes out, so I can imagine that would be a problem! But hopefully you had a break in the hot weather after the storm. I'll take cold weather over hot weather any day!

Metanoia said...

It is more my computer taking a while to start up and get sorted again that takes the time for me. It is getting pretty old so I go make a coffee when I start it up or I get frustrated at it. This week has been low to mid 20s again. Beautiful weather. Sunny but not hot.