While trimming my batting I accidently managed to cut a big sheet in half. Apparently measuring and double checking twice was still one time too few. Here is one very good reason why I should not try to sew while I'm sick! After a moment of dispair I decided that this must be fixable so I took the two pieces to my machine and used a broken zig zag stitch to join the pieces back together.
I fed the pieces through so that they butted together rather than overlap because I don't want to end up with a lump in the quilt. Once the pieces were joined the batting was relatively strong and this may even be a way to join together all the off cuts to save money in the future.