27/04/2013: Almost May already! This year is going so fast!
02/04/2013: Happy Easter. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.
01/01/2013: Happy New Year!!
24/12/2012: Merry Christmas!!
13/11/2012: Getting hand-made presents ready for Christmas!!

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lilypads


This is the start of a new project which is hopefully going to turn out nice enough to be a present. If it turns out well it will also be a pattern for the Happy Bobbin shop too.

So far we have two lilypads and a foot. I bet you can guess where this is going. I had to hand sew the lilypads as the machine really didn't work out for them, but maybe I was too impatient with trying to stuff it with the batting. Instead I slowly worked my way around, folding over both sides of the fabric with the batting inside and hand sewing the edge.

The foot worked well with the machine and I put the batting in with a pair of tweezers. I might have to give those lilypads another go on the machine just to see if it could have been done...

The lilypad with the paisly pattern showing has some light quilting as veins on the leaf. I don't think I'm going to worry about the other as it will be covered by a little frog, but we'll see. That's all for the preview for now. I finally remembered to give you all a little progress shot of what I'm working on for a change!!

2 comments:

Monica said...

What about an envelope style construction? 1 layer of quilt batting on the bottom, one fabric right side up, and the last fabric right side down on top. Sew around the edge, leave an opening, trim the batting close to the seam, turn, hand sew to close the opening, quilt a few veins. You will want to clip the inner point and trim the outer points before you turn it, but I think it would work!

I'm looking forward to seeing the frog!

Metanoia said...

The feet worked well so I'm sure there is an easier way to do the lily if machine sewing can work on smaller pieces. I will have to make a second prototype I think.

I am just working out how to join the legs to the body now and then I'm almost done!!